Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Dark Knight Rises


**This is an example of some of the work I was involved with when I worked for a company called Theatrical Shoemakers. We made costume shoes for film, theatre, television etc**


If you live in the UK, you may have seen this in last Friday's Metro newspaper...
It's the first official picture of Anne Hathaway as Catwoman in the new Batman film The Dark Knight Rises to be released this summer.
Cor! Look at those boots, and how helpful of her to stand in such a way that she shows off her bum those killer heels!


Now that some official pictures have been released, I thought I'd take the opportunity to give you a closer look at the various boots we at Theatrical Shoemakers made for Anne Hathaway's Catwoman.
Thigh high leather boots with platform sole and special knife heels.



First up, a close look at those excellent heels. They were made especially for these boots (though not by us), and they resemble knives - they have a sharp edge running along the back of the heel and a serrated section on the inside curve of the heel. These ones were cast in clear plastic (you can see the strengthening metal rod running through it) which made it easier for us to see exactly what we were doing when attaching screws through the insole and into the heels (without poking through the heel). They were later painted silver by the film's costume department.


These heels are crazily high and you can't easily run around and do stunts in them, so we were asked to make other boots in a range of heel height for Anne Hathaway as well as her stunt double.

A low heel, a wedge and a mid-height heel option, all without platforms. The higher heel on the right was covered with silver leather so that at a glance it would look like the silver knife heels.

You can see she's wearing the wedge version while riding her crazy motorbike here.

14 comments:

  1. That heel is insane! Very interesting to know that there are several versions of the boot heel for action - it makes sense, but it hadn't ever occurred to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating insight! The high heeled boots are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, these boots are amazing! I didn't notice the knife edge but when I watch it again, I'm sure it will be the first thing I see!

    I love your blog, as a huge shoe, and film fan, I can't believe I didn't follow you before! I'm in awe! They are all absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome aboard Emma! I'm impressed with your week of Batman-themed outfits!

      Delete
    2. can I get these made for my Halloween costume?

      please email me at fashion012@gmail.com

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. We at Theatrical Shoemakers could re-create the thigh-high platform boots, however those amazing knife heels were made especially for the boots used in the film.

      Delete
  6. Thanks a lot for showing this closup :). Watched the movie yesterday together with my boyfriend and we discussed afterwards about Catwoman's heels if they had this kind of saw teeth or not. Thanks that I was able to prove that I was right ;).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the boots! I too, would love to have a pair like these. (Would love to know who made the heels too! *wink*) If not, I could always create something around a thinner heel that would resemble these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this boots! how can I buy a pair, how much would they cost?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Could you tell me how much a pair of these boots would cost? Thanks you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would love to buy a pair, any where I could purchase them?

    ReplyDelete