Wednesday, April 04, 2012

a belt


I made myself a belt today. I've been meaning to have a go at this for ages. It's a new version of my dad's old belt which I wear often even though it is too big for me. I wanted to have a shorter version that I could wear at my natural waistline, rather than my hips. 

I wanted to replicate the clever plaiting of dad's old belt. It looks impossible because both ends of the belt are solid and the plaiting is only along the middle section. To do this, you cut along the middle section of the belt making three equal straps. You then begin plaiting from one end, and as you go, you need to un-plait and untangle the other end. Plait a little bit, un-plait the other end, repeat. I'm sure there's a logical way of un-plaiting which I am yet to get my head around because I spent a lot of time getting the end rather twisted and tangled, but I got there eventually!

An inch-wide strip of 3mm vegtan leather, a hole punch, a buckle, a couple of rivets, a little while spent fiddling and de-tangling, and I have a new little belt. I left the edges raw and untreated because this was more an experiment with the plaiting technique. I think it will soften up nicely with a bit of wear.

3 comments:

  1. This is totally amazing! PLEASE explain the unplaiting bit to me, I can't visualise that at all!

    Zoe xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a tricky thing to get your head around, and really it's the kind of thing where you just have to give it a go and work it out as you go along.
    Basically, if you just start plaiting, the other end naturally plaits itself up too, but kind of in reverse or opposite or something. Where the two directions of plaiting meet, you'll find that they won't stay that way, so you need to only plait in one direction and untangle the reversed plaiting at the other end.
    Have I just made things more complicated? Try doing a small sample using thick non-fraying material and see if you get what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work. So much more desirable that the tat in high street shops.

    ReplyDelete